General Hospital #5 was also called Kent Hospital. It was formerly the building of Kent, Paine and Company, dry goods, "the first ‘New York style’ department store in Richmond."
General Hospital #5 opened before June 1862 with 97 patients. It was destroyed in evacuation fire.
The hospital was located on the south side of Main Street between 11th and 12th Streets which is approximately the present 1107-1109 East Main Street.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.