Louisiana Hospital was also called Richmond College Hospital and Baptist College Hospital.

The main building of Richmond College [Baptist] known as "Columbia" was taken for joint operation by the Confederate government and the Louisiana Hospital Committee. Probably other buildings on the grounds were also used.

The building is still standing with an annex wing attached and located on the northeast corner of Lombardy and Grace Streets. The college grounds were the area now embraced by the City streets of Lombardy Street in the west, Broad Street on the north, Monument Avenue on the south, and about half a block east of Ryland Street in the east.

Louisiana Hospital opened  June 4, 1862. It had 120 patients in September 1864, but its capacity was higher.

Dr. W. C. Nicholls was the surgeon-in-charge; John H. Mackenzie was the resident agent for the Louisiana Hospital Committee.

The building and grounds were used by Federal occupation forces as a hospital and encampment under the name of Camp Casey. Lt. Col. James Brady of 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery was the commanding officer.

From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.

Go to top