From the Richmond Dispatch, 4/24/1863, p. 1, c. 4

Bethel Church. – This edifice located on the east side of 20th street, between Main and Cary streets, was erected about three years since for the especial use of the mariners sailing to this port, by the joint contributions of citizens and the Common Council. Before it was fully completed the present war was inaugurated and the commerce that was to supply the congregation was destroyed. Rev. Francis J. Bog[?], the pastor, has been since the war in the military service of his country, and is now Major of an Artillery Battalion stationed near Suffolk. His partially completed church was first used as a primary school for Jefferson Ward, and was afterwards abandoned to the use of the soldiers, who mingled the books, desks, and benches promiscuously together. After they left a Sunday school was established in the basement of the edifice, and has grown, owing to the assiduous endeavors of the Superintendent’s teachers, to be quite an institution. At least 120 scholars are in attendance every Sabbath.

Go to top