From the Richmond Dispatch, 6/16/1862, p. 2, c. 5
Another noble enterprise. – At a late meeting of the Directory of the Young Men's Christian Association a committee was appointed to take the necessary steps towards establishing a hospital, under the immediate care of the association.
As will be seen by their card to-day, the committee have already secured a comfortable place on Clay, between 5th and 6th streets. Mrs. C. E. Mayo is the matron of the establishment, Dr. W. H. Gwathmey the physician, and J. D. K. Sleight, superintendent and commissary. We feel assured that it needs no word of ours to enlist the aid of all benevolent persons in this good work. Money, meats, vegetables, delicacies, &c., will be gladly received at the hospital, or at the Depot of the Army Committee, on Bank street.