From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 12/21/1910, p. 2, c. 2
Would Purchase Van Lew Home.
Principal Saunders, of Bellevue School, and a large delegation, appeared in behalf of the proposition for purchasing the Van Lew property, recently used by Dr. Parker as a tuberculosis sanitarium, for public school purposes. It was represented that Bellevue School is antiquated, and badly located, on a noisy thoroughfare, and without playgrounds; that the city could acquire the entire block occupied by the Van Lew homestead for $25,000; that one-half of the block is level and would afford an ideal site for a new school building, with proper grounds surrounding, and that the lower half could be made into an annex to Taylor’s Hill Park, being already terraced and improved. It was represented that both Bellevue and Springfield Schools were greatly overcrowded.