From the Richmond Whig, 8/1/1865, p. 2, c. 5
Libby Hill. – This beautiful spot, forming the eastern terminus of Franklin street, acts as a ventilator to Church Hill. Over its summit blow the breezes which old father James imports from the ocean, and from it the eye takes in a grand sweep of country. Here, in days gone by, ladies, and children with their mammies, used to assemble in happy groups to enjoy the freshness of the morning and the coolness of the evening air. Now a camp of U. S. colored infantry covers the face of the hill. Tempora mutantur et nos mutamur in illis.