From the Richmond Whig, 7/31/1865, p. 2, c. 5
The Virginia State Armory. – On the occupation of the city by the United States forces, the military authorities took possession of the Virginia State Armory, at the corner of 7th and Cary, and held possession until within a few days, when it was surrendered to Mr. Andrew Ellett, who has rented it from the owner for the purpose of carrying on the commission business.
On the night of the evacuation of the city, the building contained a large amount of small arms, or various kinds and caliber, together with a large quantity of tools, iron, copper, zinc, &c., &c. All of these have been sent North. They were the property of the State, and were never owned by, or turned over to, the Confederate Government. – It is hoped the State authorities will give the matter proper attention.