From the Richmond Examiner, 9/26/1861, p. 3, c. 3
GILLIAM'S FACTORY. – This capacious establishment, located on 9th, between Byrd street and the river, has been converted into a Confederate hospital, and is called the Byrd Island Hospital. A. Y. P. Garnett is the Surgeon in charge. The hospital accommodates 225 patients. It was established on the 15th of August. Mr. Alexander Archer is the Steward or Commissary, and performs his arduous duty in a highly satisfactory manner.