From the Richmond Dispatch, 7/12/1862, p. 3, c. 2


Several hundred more of the wounded Federal soldiers were added yesterday to those already on Belle Isle, which, for the information of the distant reader, we may add, is pleasantly located in the falls of James river, a short distance above the Petersburg Railroad bridge. Here, with the advantage of fresh air and plenty of water, their chances of recovery are much increased. On Thursday night amongst ninety prisoners that arrived, were the following officers, viz: N. F. Marsh, Regimental Surgeon 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry; Thos. D. Horne, Captain Company D, 12th Pennsylvania; Wm. Biddle, First Lieutenant and Adjutant 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry; Thos. McFadden, Second Lieutenant Company D, 5th Pennsylvania; and J. Y. Roberts, First Lieutenant, Company C, 3d Pennsylvania; Many of these officers are badly wounded.

On yesterday there arrived during the day, in ambulances, from Brackett's house, on the Charles City road, sixteen miles from this city, sixty-one wounded Federal soldiers, including the under mentioned officers, viz: John Cuthbertson, Captain Co. H, 9th Penn; E. B. Gates, Capt. Co. I, 4th Penn; M. C. McIntyre, Lieut-Col 1st Pa; Wm. H. Spencer, Captain co. G. 61st Pa; R. H. Walworth, Major, 3d Pa; John McCleery, Capt. 5th Pa; W. W. White, Capt. co. G, 7th Pa; and W. A. Donaldson, Capt. co. F, Sickles's Excelsior brigade. Accompanying the above, (they having been paroled to report to Gen. Winder) were the following Doctors: John Q. Osborne. Surgeon 42d Tammany N. Y. V; Geo. H. Fossard, Assistant Surgeon of the same regiment; M S Kittinger, Surgeon 100th reg't N. Y. V; F S Cook, volunteer Assistant Surgeon in do; Joseph Underwood do do; and Dr. Edmonston, Assistant Surgeon in the 18th New York. Some of the above said that they had been assured by Gen. Pryor that they should have the liberty of the city prior to their being sent home. They were detained at the Libby prison last night.

In reference to the Yankee wounded, we may say that in McClellan's headlong flight he left nearly 3,000 of his deluded followers, helpless and in a starving condition, on the wayside. On yesterday morning a flag of truce boat left Drewry's Bluff, in charge of Lieut. Wood, C. S. N., and communicated with the enemy in reference to the wounded of his army. The nature of the reply did not transpire, but another flag of truce left our river fortifications yesterday evening, on the same errand which leaves it to be inferred that some understanding has been or will be had in reference to the Yankee wounded. It is as much as can be expected of us in the present juncture of affairs, to attend to our own wounded.

Go to top