Saint Francis de Sales Hospital was also known as St. Francis, Catholic, and Brook Hospital. It was located on Brook Turnpike at the City Limits (near Bacon Quarter Branch). [Approximately in cloverleaf leading north Belvidere Street traffic into Interstate 95.]

The hospital had formerly been Goddin’s Tavern.

Saint Francis de Sales Hospital was a small private religious hospital financially subsidized by Confederate government. It opened in May 1861 and was still in use in February 1865.

Sister Juliann was in charge. The capacity was 30 patients and some female Confederate prisoners were held there.

From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.

Go to top