General Hospital was also called Byrd Island Hospital, Gilliam's Factory Hospital, and Gilham's Hospital.
General Hospital #3 was taken over by the Confederacy as a hospital on August 15, 1861. It had a capacity of about 225 patients. Dr. Alexander Yelverton P. Garnett was the surgeon-in-charge.
The hospital was located near the south end of 9th Street, near the James River in the tobacco factory of George W. William and Brother Company.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.