General Hospital #27 was also called Gangrene Hospital and Company G Hall Hospital. It was formerly a social, meeting and drill hall operated by Militia Co. G.
The hospital opened in March 1862 and closed on July 16, 1863. It had a capacity of about 50.
General Hospital #27 was located on the east side of 28th Street, between M and N Streets which is approximately the present site of 711-3 North 28th Street.
From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.