General Hospital #12 was also called Banner Hospital, Grant Hospital, and Wayside Hospital. It was in the former tobacco factory of William H. Grant that was designed by Samuel Freeman and built in 1853.

The hospital opened on December 2, 1861 and Libby Prison Hospital was attached to its operation. It was designated as Wayside Hospital for men on furlough or honorable discharge on August 6, 1863. It had a capacity of over 250.

Federal occupation forces used the hospital as barracks.

General Hospital #12 was located at the northeast corner of 19th and Franklin Streets.

From Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.

Go to top