From the Richmond Whig, 9/5/1865, p. 3, c. 2
THE HOTEL IMPROVEMENTS. – The lessees of the Spotswood, Messrs. Corkery & Millward, are adding much to the exterior beauty of the hotel by affixing ornamental iron lintels and cornices to the windows opening on Main and Eighth streets. The ornaments are painted white, and give quite an air of finish to the establishment. Other minor improvements are being put on various parts of the hotel, and they will be readily seen and appreciated by the guests.
At the Exchange Hotel the fresco painters are at work on the lofty walls of the parlor, reception and dining rooms. The office of the hotel will appear a model of neatness when completed. A new register is being put up, and the counter has been laid with a beautiful slab of marble. Messrs. Carrington & Co., are pressing the improvements with great energy, and it is a good natured business race between them and the lessees of the St. Charles, which hotel shall be opened first.