From the Richmond Dispatch, 4/29/1863, p. 1, c. 6

Replaced. – The iron bridge which formerly spanned the canal at the foot of 8th street, and which, it will be remembered, broke down during the crossing of a lot of Yankee prisoners, and drowned two of them, has been replaced by a substantial wooden structure, which will be ready for use in a couple of days.

Go to top