From the New York Herald, 4/6/1865

Interesting Details of the Occupation of the Rebel Capital.

Secretary Stanton to Major General Dix.

WASHINGTON, April 5 - 8 P.M.

Major General JOHN A. DIX, New York:-

          The following telegram gives all the details received by the Department in relation to the military operations at Richmond not heretofore published.

EDWIN M. STANTON, Secretary of War.

Assistant Secretary Dana’s Despatch.

AIKEN’S LANDING, Va., April 5, 1865.

Hon. E.M. STANTON, Secretary of War:-

              Little is now at City Point. There are but few officers left, and these are overwhelmed with work.

Lee telegraphed Davis at three P.M. of Sunday that he was driven back and must evacuate. This was announced in church. Davis has sold his furniture previously at auction, and was ready to leave. All the leading men got away that evening.

The rebel iron-clads were exploded. The Virginia lies sunk in the James river above the obstructions.

Ewell set the city on fire. All the business portion of Main street to the river was destroyed. The bridges across the river were also destroyed.

Many of the families remain. Mrs. Lee remains.

At Petersburg the public stores were burned, and a few houses caught fire, but not much damage was done to the city. The bridges there were also burned.

I will report fully from Richmond.

I cannot get a clear idea of our loss. The only general killed is Winthrop. Potter is dangerously wounded in the groin.

General Grant has commanded the armies in person since the beginning of the operations.

Assistant Secretary of War.

Secretary Stanton’s Second Despatch.

WASHINGTON, April 5 - 10 P.M.

Major General JOHN A. DIX, New York:-

       A telegram just received by this department from Richmond, states that General Weitzel captured in Richmond one thousand well prisoners and five thousand wounded found in the hospitals; five hundred pieces of artillery and five thousand stand of arms were captured.

The President went to Richmond yesterday, and returned to City Point today.

The Surgeon General reports that Mr. Seward, who was thrown from his carriage this evening, is doing well. His arm was broken between the elbow and shoulder. His face was much bruised. The fracture has been reduced, and the case presents no alarming symptoms.

EDWIN M. STANTON, Secretary of War.

Secretary Stanton’s Third Despatch.

WASHINGTON, April 5 - 11 P.M.

To Major General JOHN A. DIX, New York:-

               General Grant telegraphs to this department from Nottoway Court House as follows:

Last night General Sheridan was on the Danville Railroad, south of Amelia Court House, and sent word to General Meade, who was following with the Second and Sixth corps by what is known as the River road, that if the troops could be got up in time he had hopes of capturing or dispersing the whole of Lee army.

I am moving with the left wing, commanded by General Ord, by the Cox or direct Burkesville road. We will be tonight at or near Burkesville.

I have had no communication with Sheridan or Meade today, but hope to hear very soon that they have come up with and captured or broken up the balance of the Army of Northern Virginia.

In every direction we hear of the men of that army going home, generally without arms.

Sheridan reports Lee at Amelia Court House today.

EDWIN M. STANTON, Secretary of War.

Secretary Stanton’s Fourth Despatch.


WASHINGTON, April 5 - 10:20 P.M.

Major General JOHN A. DIX, New York:-

The following details respecting the capture of Richmond and its occupation by the Union forces have been telegraphed to this department from that city.

EDWIN M. STANTON, Secretary of War.

General Weitzel learned, at three o’clock on the morning of Monday, that Richmond was being evacuated, and at daylight moved forward, first taking care to give his men breakfast, in the expectation that they might have to fight. He met no opposition, and on entering the city was greeted with hearty welcome from the mass of the people. The Mayor went out to meet him and to surrender the city, but missed him on the road.

General Weitzel finds much suffering and poverty among the population. The rich as well as the poor are destitute for food. He is about to issue supplies to all who take the oath. The inhabitants now number about twenty thousand, half of them of African descent.

It is not true that Jeff. Davis sold his furniture before leaving. It is all in his house, where I am now writing. He left at seven P.M. by the Danville Railroad.

All the members of Congress escaped. Hunter has gone home. Carson Smith (?) went with the army. Judge Campbell remains here.

General Weitzel took here one thousand prisoners, besides the wounded. These number five thousand, in nine hospitals. He captured cannon to the number of at least five hundred pieces. Five thousand muskets have been found in one lot. Thirty locomotives and three hundred cars are found here.

The Petersburg railroad bridge is totally destroyed; that of the Danville road partially, so that connection with Petersburg can easily be made.

All the rebel vessels are destroyed, except an unfinished ram, which has the machinery in her perfect.

The Tredegar Works are unharmed, and the machinery here today, under General Weitzel’s orders.

Libby prison and Castle Thunder have also escaped the fire, and are filled with rebel prisoners of war.

Most of the editors have fled - especially John Mitchel. The Whig appeared yesterday as a Union paper, with the name of the former proprietor at the head.

The theatre opens here tonight.

General Weitzel describes the reception of the President yesterday as enthusiastic in the extreme.

Go to top