From the Richmond Dispatch, 11/7/1860, p. 1, c. 5

Company G. – Capt. Gordon's company, on Church Hill, which now numbers sixty-five men, has in course of construction an armory and drill-room, at the corner of 28th and N streets. The lot was presented to the corps by Quartermaster Miles, and the building was commenced without unnecessary delay. It is 96 feet in length by 45 in width, and has a meeting-room attached. The company has incurred the responsibility of the enterprise, but we trust the public spirited citizens of Church Hill will lend a helping hand. No one will deny that the organization of an efficient military corps, like Company G, in that remote quarter of the city, is a movement that deserves to be encouraged. In its early days, the company may need some aid for the attainment of its purposes, and if an application should to that end be made to the Council, it might with great propriety be granted. We believe the citizens would heartily approve such an act.

Go to top