From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 1/7/1911, p. 10, c. 5
Patrons Demanding Better Conditions.
In some section of the city patrons of the schools are taking the matter in their own hands, notably at Bellevue and Madison.
Some weeks ago a delegation of Church Hill citizens, led by Principal Saunders, of Bellevue school, appeared before Finance Committee in support of a proposition to purchase what is known as the Van Lew property, owned by Dr. Parker, as a location for a new public school on Church Hill, the property occupying the entire block from Grace to Franklin Streets, between Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Streets, once used as the home of the Virginia Club, and later as a tuberculosis sanatorium.
More recently a mass-meeting has been held of patrons of Madison school, which is represented as being over-crowded, in unsanitary condition, and not well arranged for school purposes.