From the Richmond Dispatch, 5/24/1869, p. 1, c. 6
THE DEAD AT MALVERN HILL. – It is a pleasure to state, after due inquiry, that the report in regard to the desecration of graves on the Malvern Hill battle-field is greatly exaggerated, if not entirely incorrect. The fight took place on the land of a Mr. Crew, whose son now owns the farm. The latter gentlemen requests us to state that a portion of land adjoining an old family burial-place was given the day succeeding the battle as burial-place for those who had been killed in the battle. As the troops were still encamped upon the place, the bodies of nearly all their comrades were deposited in the spot designated. A few, however, in expectation of a speedy removal, were buried near a road through the farm. Most of these (there are probably two bodies remaining at this spot) were removed in a week or two by their friends. Besides, there was a long trench opened to receive the bodies of the Federal soldiers killed on the field. These are believed to be all taken up and removed to the National Cemetery near by. These were all the graves known to be on the place. But there have recently been discovered five other separate graves, in a field, having no mound or mark to distinguish them. The manager on the farm has been instructed to note the places, that he may point them out to the committee when they go down to remove them. This is believed to be a true and full statement of the case as far as “Crew’s farm” is the burial-place of the Malvern Hill battle.