From the Richmond Dispatch, 1/18/1862, p. 2, c. 4

Shocking Case of Burning. - A white woman employed at one of the hospitals on Church Hill was very badly burnt on Tuesday morning last by the accidental ignition of her clothing. She arose at a very early hour and went into a room where a fire was burning, and, it is supposed, lay down near the grate and fell asleep. Shortly afterward the sentinel heard her shreiks, and going into the room found her in flames. The burning clothes were pulled off as soon as possible, but not until she received injuries which, it is apprehended, will prove fatal.

Go to top