From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, 10/26/1939, p. 12, c. 6

Garrison Rites To Be Today; Saw Monitor, Merrimac Battle

Funeral services for Edward C. Garrison, 93, an eyewitness of the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac, and a former High Constable of Richmond, who died Tuesday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Harry W. Blaine at 3201 Barton Avenue, will be held at 4:30 P. M. Thursday at the Billups Funeral Home.

The services will be conducted by the Rev. Wade H. Bryant, pastor of the Barton Heights Baptist Church. Burial will be in Oakwood Cemetery.

Mr. Garrison, who had been in failing health for the past year, was a son of Edward Garrison and Mrs. Camilla Powell Garrison. He was born on November 21, 1845, in Portsmouth.

He attended the public and private schools there until the start of the War Between the States, when most of the schools were closed.

Mr. Garrison and several other youngsters of his own age witnessed the famous naval battle from Pigs Point, a short distance from Norfolk. At the time of his death, he still used a cane made from the keel of the Merrimac, which was given to him many years ago.

Joined Army at 16

Shortly after the battle, he joined the Confederate Army at the age of 16. He was stationed in Norfolk for a time and then transferred to Charlotte, N. C., where he remained until he came to Richmond in the spring of 1863.

He recalled recently the time he saw President Lincoln at the intersection of Seventeenth and Main Streets, a short while after the Southern forces had evacuated Richmond.

Shortly after the close of the war, Mr. Garrison was employed by the Tredegar Iron Works here and he worked for that concern for more than 25 years as a machinist.

In 1884, he was elected High Constable of Richmond, a post which he held for more than 20 years. Later, he was a clerk at the Old First Market for a number of years.

Past Master of Lodge

He was the oldest living past master of Henrico Union Lodge, No. 130, A. F. and A. M., having served in that post in 1899 and 1900. He was still a member of the lodge at the time of his death.

Mr. Garrison was one of the oldest members of the Leigh Street Baptist Church, where he served as superintendent of the Sunday school for a number of years. He was also a former lieutenant of the Richmond Grays.

Surviving are a son, M. W. Garrison; two daughters, Mrs. Blaine and Mrs. John M. Spence of Baltimore and nine grandchildren.


Go to top