From the Richmond Dispatch, 7/20/1890, p. 8, c. 2
Opening of a Thoroughfare Which Will Be a Convenience.
A street running parallel to the river bank and adjoining the Tredegar Works is now being opened by the city. Strictly speaking, it is an extension of what is known as Tredegar street, which runs from the foot of Seventh to the gate leading into the Tredegar Works, and will be called by that name. Ultimately this street will be carried westward as far as the pump-house, but as present it will only be extended through the Tredegar to the foot of the Belle Isle bridge.
The opening of this thoroughfare will be a great improvement, as considerable hauling has always been done in that neighborhood, and heretofore all vehicles were compelled to pass through the Tredegar.
After the completion of the work, which will be in about sixty days, easy access may be had to the Albemarle paper-mills, the Old water-works, and other establishments along the bank of the canal, and the hauling of sand, which is obtained in large quantities from the river, will be greatly facilitated.
To give sufficient breadth to this street, which will be thirty feet wide, it has been necessary for the Tredegar Company to remove several of their buildings, but for this expense they will be reimbursed by the city.
The masonry connected with the opening of the street is also being done under the auspices of the Tredegar. There is a great deal of this to be done, and $5,000 or $6,000 will be expended, but for this also the city will repay them.
Messrs. David Lewis and Joseph Ewing are the contractors.
The street will be laid with cinders to give it solidity, and is not only considered a great convenience, but will add to the value of property in that vicinity.