Crew & Pemberton's Warehouse
Information about Crew & Pemberton Warehouse/General Hospital #15 in Richmond, VA during the Civil War.
Crew & Pemberton's Warehouse functioned as both a hospital (General Hospital #15) and a prison during the Civil War
Also called: Crew's Hospital, Crew and Pemberton Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of Crew and Pemberton, Four-storied, brick building. Destroyed in evacuation fire. Opened about June 1862. Capacity over 200. Drs. H. C. Scott, G. B. Moore, W. T. Bell, in charge. After 25 September 1862 converted to barracks for convalescent or traveling solders. Location: northwest corner of 21st and Cary Streets.
(from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)